Contact Info / Websites
First of all, it is great to have my game on the front page! I know that a bit of that has to be from a lack of reviews, but it is still a nice sight nonetheless.
I just published an update for Psychopomp, improving:
- Sprite flickering and jittering (should be gone).
- Platforms, in every possible way.
- The splash screen (mine anyway... I can't control the HaxeFlixel one).
- Game lag (most images are now loaded from a single spritesheet).
- Other stuff under-the-hood.
So if you haven't played it yet, now is the perfect time to try it out: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/676880. If you like it, give it a good review so we can keep it on the front page. If you don't like it... uh...
So with that, I will be moving on. My next project will be Among the Crowd: a kind of experimental top-down mystery/shooter/avoidance/escape game. Details will come later, once there is actually something to show. Right now, I'm fleshing out the idea and working on a better foundation for my future projects than the standard HaxeFlixel template. More to follow...
I just uploaded the final (hopefully) build of my first game, Psychopomp.
This was the product of a few weeks of messing around with HaxeFlixel, and many futile efforts with other tools before that. It started as a simple platformer example and ended up becoming an interesting little puzzle game. There are multiple objects you can interact with in the environment using your mouse, and you control multiple 'souls' at once, trying to guide them to portals which often will disappear after a set time limit.
Have some screenshots:
Play it here: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/676880
Many thanks to Atlas and Kassich for making their music freely available on the audio portal and helping bring my game to life.
My final thoughts:
- It feels good to finish something for once.
- Tools I used: HaxeDevelop (programming), Ogmo (levels), Paint.NET (art), FreePlane (productivity), Bfxr (sound), Piskel (animations)
- The "Placement" level probably shows up too early, and is definitely more difficult than I had intended it to be
- Level 19 is hard. If you need a hint, remember that you can 'trap' souls with the moving platforms.
- I feel really good about the pacing overall.
- I might push it to other sites if there's a good response.
- The Newgrounds API seems interesting but I'm sort of confused about how to integrate it into a HaxeFlixel project, so I won't for now.
- I hope it doesn't get blammed O.O
Message me if you want to become a beta tester for future games (I could use a few volunteers).